Friday, 02 June 2000
  0 Replies
  3K Visits
Post00255 MDVP 2 June 2000 CONTENTS 1. IS MDVP BEING WIDELY IMPLEMENTED? 2. INTERESTING VARIATION ON THE MULTI-DOSE VIAL POLICY 1. IS MDVP BEING WIDELY IMPLEMENTED? The Multi-Dose Vial Policy and before it the Open Vial Policy recommends the continued use of multi-dose vials of DTP/TT/DT/Hb/OPV beyond one immunization session provided conditions of safe storage and usage are met. Implementation of the MDVP should yield substantial savings through reduced sessional wastage. Bob Davis, UNICEF, asks about studies on savings achieved and which countries are actually implementing the MDVP. Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 From: [[email protected]][email protected][/email] (Robert Davis) Subject: Is MDVP being widely implemented? To: [[email protected]][email protected][/email] Allan, Do you know of any country studies which have been done on the savings made by implementation of the open vial policy? An interesting subject, since many countries have NOT implemented it to date. The opened vial policy will be getting a very high profile as we move into Hep B vaccination. As far as I know we don't have any country by country breakdown of how countries are or are not implementing the policy. I would put the query to the members if I were you. Bob D. ____________________________________*______________________________________ 2. INTERESTING VARIATION ON THE MULTI-DOSE VIAL POLICY Debbie Kristensen, PATH, reports on a recent oral polio vaccine product insert from the Institute of Poliomyelitis and Viral Encephalitis in Moscow recommending the use of a syringe and needle to withdraw and dispense doses of OPV. Debbie asks if this practice has been observed elsewhere. From: "Kristensen, Debra" To: "'Technet Moderator'" Subject: Delivery of Russian OPV by syringe Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 Dear Allan, In the course of one of our projects, we recently translated the 1999 oral polio vaccine product insert from the Institute of Poliomyelitis and Viral Encephalitis in Moscow. The insert contains an interesting variation on the multi-dose vial policy. I enclose the relevant portion of the translation for the benefit of Technet members who may be working in regions that use this vaccine. "....Unused vaccine from the open vial may be stored for no more than 2 days at the temperature +4 to +8 degrees C, provided that the vial is tightly closed with a dropper or a rubber tap. When necessary it is allowed to withdraw vaccine with a sterile syringe through the rubber tap observing the asepsis rules. In this case vaccine may be used until it expires." It is our understanding that the withdrawal of OPV and oral delivery by syringe is practiced in some facilities/regions of Ukraine and elsewhere. I wonder if others have observed this practice? Best regards, Debbie Kristensen Technical Officer Program for Appropriate Technology in Health (PATH) 4 Nickerson Street, Seattle, WA 98109-1699 USA Telephone: (206) 285-3500; Fax (206) 285-6619 E-Mail: [[email protected]][email protected][/email]; PATH Web Site: http://www.path.org ____________________________________*______________________________________
There are no replies made for this post yet.