TechNet-21 - Forum

This forum provides a place for members to ask questions, share experiences, coordinate activities, and discuss recent developments in immunization.
  1. Moderator
  2. Announcements
  3. Monday, 10 March 2003
POST 00555E : USE OF TECHNET AND ICC 10 March 2003 ________________________________________________________ This posting contains three contributions. First Alasdair Wylie (mailto:[log in to unmask]) had submitted some comments on the use of Technet by parent organizations. Robert Steinglass (mailto:[log in to unmask]) commented further adding the use of ICC into the issue. Finally, Michel Zaffran (mailto:[log in to unmask]) from WHO responds to these concerns. ________________________________________________________ Ways should be found so that all those in WHO and UNICEF who are involved with GAVI and its various task forces/subgroups take Technet even more seriously and make use of it. Technet is much more than a mere "discussion group". It is now over three years since the Harare Technet meeting offered its members expertise and Technet Forum to GAVI, and there is still little indication that this is being taken as seriously as it should, in particular by those involved in the Implementation Task Force and its subgroups including Monitoring/Evaluation and Capacity Building. ____________________________________ It is difficult to understand why one would build a network of experienced field staff and then not use it to the fullest extent. TECHNET should be used to contribute ideas from the field. International agencies should deliberately take advantage of this resource to generate ideas and exchange experience in order to inform their own policies, strategies, tactics, etc. For what it's worth, several years ago I prepared a list to justify a potential TECHNET role on operational issues. - drop-out reduction - vaccine wastage - safe injection and disposal - strengthening/conversion of cold chain - stock management/vaccine logistics - EPI Reviews - rationalizing service delivery - avoiding accidental freezing - fleet management - job aids Much is made of the fact that there are now ICC's in most countries. But this resource is also being underused. Over the past 3 years, I have read the agendas and minutes of about 150 ICC meetings as part of my duties with GAVI. What I have discovered is that the primary vaccination program ("routine immunization";), which includes all the above topics and more, is very rarely on the agenda or discussed in most countries' ICC meetings. While there are a few exceptions, in most countries the meeting minutes are mostly devoted to polio, measles, and MNT campaigns, and to the occasional application requirements of GAVI. In some countries, the ICC has more representational functions and in others it has more technical functions. In either case, one would expect the ICC to occasionally look at the issues hindering good performance of the primary vaccination program. To me, the lack of global engagement of TECHNET on the above list of topics/issues is paralleled by a lack of in-country engagement by ICCs on primary vaccination programs. I believe that underutilization of ICCs, as with TECHNET, on technical issues facing primary vaccination programs remains a missed programmatic opportunity which needs to be addressed by technical partners. Robert ____________________________________ I think that we are doing a very difficult job and we are also the victim of the success of immunization. Understandably many people want to contribute and it is always difficult to take all opinions into consideration. I believe that we are doing our best to listen but it is not always easy to reach a consensus rapidly. We are always hard-pressed by time and deadlines too. However, we should certainly explain better what decisions are taken and for what reason. As regards Robert's frustration at Technet not being used to its fullest extent, I had the impression that most of the experienced Technet people were used, one way or the other in many of the things that we do under the GAVI umbrella. But if Robert means that we should better use the forum for discussion, brainstorming and reaching conclusions, then we may be seeing here the limits of this form of communication. As I just said, forming a consensus this way is often an impossible task. At any rate, I will do my best to address the impression that some of you have the impression of not being listened to, keeping in mind however that this does not mean that your views will always be accepted. Michel ______________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________________ Visit the TECHNET21 Website at http://www.technet21.org You will find instructions to subscribe, a direct access to archives, links to reference documents and other features. ______________________________________________________________________________ To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message to : mailto:[log in to unmask] Leave the subject area BLANK In the message body, write unsubscribe TECHNET21E ______________________________________________________________________________ The World Health Organization and UNICEF support TechNet21. The TechNet21 e-Forum is a communication/information tool for generation of ideas on how to improve immunization services. It is moderated by Claude Letarte and is hosted in cooperation with the Centre de coopération internationale en santé et développement, Québec, Canada (http://www.ccisd.org) ______________________________________________________________________________

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!