Monday, 30 June 2003
  0 Replies
  2.2K Visits
POST 00576E : SECOND DOSE OF MEASLES VACCINE 30 June 2003 _________________________________________________ Anil Varshney (mailto:[log in to unmask]) needs advice on the introduction of a second dose of measles vaccine into national programmes. See his message below. _________________________________________________ I wish to seek advice from our esteemed experts in Immunization regarding the introduction of a second dose of measles as routine in the national EPI programme. I am preparing the guidelines and policy framework for a country whose EPI coverage is high (fully immunized 89.7 % and measles coverage 96 % as of 2002 EPI coverage evaluation). The measles case load is low. My personal opinion based on facts is as follows: "Second dose of measles is at the moment not recommended unless measles case reports and sufficient qualitative epidemiological data analysis demonstrate the usefulness of a second dose of measles. Moreover since it is not clear whether a second dose will improve measles control any further, more data on cost effectiveness and impact of this strategy are needed. At these times supplementary immunization would be useful" I shall appreciate suggestions on this issue with relevant reading references in literature. My review did not find much rule of second dose where case load is low. However I feel it is important to take opinion of our valued members of this forum. Thanking you Anil Varshney ______________________________________________________________________________ Visit the TECHNET21 Website at http://www.technet21.org You will find instructions to subscribe, a direct access to archives, links to reference documents and other features. ______________________________________________________________________________ To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message to : mailto:[log in to unmask] Leave the subject area BLANK In the message body, write unsubscribe TECHNET21E ______________________________________________________________________________ The World Health Organization and UNICEF support TechNet21. The TechNet21 e-Forum is a communication/information tool for generation of ideas on how to improve immunization services. It is moderated by Claude Letarte and is hosted in cooperation with the Centre de coopération internationale en santé et développement, Québec, Canada (http://www.ccisd.org) ______________________________________________________________________________
There are no replies made for this post yet.