Thursday, 06 April 2006
  0 Replies
  1.3K Visits
POST 00908E : GLOBAL INITIATIVES FUNDING Follow-up on Posts 00898E and 00903E 6 April 2006 ______________________________ NOTE : I had not realized until having sent the previous posting, how heavy the file (DropOutSlip) was, for such a small thing. If you have had downloading problems, I am sorry. I replaced it on the site by a small one (71K). The image may not be as sharp, but it is quite fine for the purpose. The link to it is http://www.technet21.org/DropOutSlipNepal.doc --------------------- Auguste Ambendet (mailto:[email protected]) from WHO/AFRO Regional Office in Zimbabwe comments on those of Anil Varshney (mailto:[email protected]) from India who comments further. Finally, I risk a very personal point of view at the bottom. --------------------- Tomorrow the world celebrates as every year, the World Health Day. The objective of World Health Day, celebrated since 1950, is to raise global awareness on a specific health theme to highlight a priority area of concern. World Health Day 2006 will honour health workers and will focus on the growing crisis in human resources that is hindering health care delivery in many parts of the world. This year celebration will be held in Lusaka, Zambia, followed by "Working Together for Health" celebrations in countries all over the world. The "World Health Report 2006: Working for Health" will be presented in Lusaka alongside the launch of the Health Workforce Decade (2006-2015). For details please visit the World Health Day website at: http://www.who.int/world-health-day/2006/en/index.html ______________________________ Hello! Dr Anil Varshney, I totally agree with your comments. I believe there should be great efforts of mobilisation of funds at the local level. Large local companies need to be informed and associated in financing such initiatives. Generally, companies enquire from countries in which priority areas, at social level, they might allocate funds, but unfortunately, countries rarely opt for financing such initiatives. I had a wonderful experience with UNICEF/Congo Brazzaville between 2000 and 2002; we managed to mobilise funds locally, from petrol companies operating in the country and others (airline companies) and we used these funds to organise polio and measles campaigns. This is why I have always insisted, that there should be mobilisation of funds at the local level. Thank you all, Auguste Ambendet Conseiller de vaccination VPD/DDC-WHO/AFRO Harare/Zimbabwe -------------------------- Ambendet has done a remarkable job and I feel this should be replicated.I am willing to help. But this must be done under UN - WHO / UNICEF banner, which means permission if any from national Government and clearances should be taken. The funds collected should than be utilized in the programme. All donors must be kept informed regularly. I am very sure that in a country like India huge funds can be collected, eg Rs 1 per mobile phone per month would turn into millions of Rs every month, and people would not mind that they spend Rs 6 to 10 per sms for various options. My suggestion is that this mode of fund collection should be explored and attempted. Regards , Anil Varshney --------------------------- A personal point of view: Shouldn’t we thread with caution here in this area, to ensure the independance of national or international public bodies? States have had so many problems with independance from, for example religion in the past, and many still have. Is it of no significance that the President of a large multinational corporation be guest speaker at the World Health Assembly? When I see that it is prohibited supported by written official memorandum, to use any software in the UN system that is not of this particular corporation, I really wonder. Or when I see a National Committee associate UNICEF name to a trademark to sell an item for a return, I itch. Isn’t there any implications also with respects to certain aspects of the recent discussion about vaccine prices? In any event I’d hate to see vaccination campaigns with the Macdonald or Toyota or Coca-Cola or any other logo for that matter, floating around! Why countries could not manage effectively a taxation of luxury goods system, for example? Why should it come directly from the industry? Is it for the same reasons that most if not all countries cannot manage a health system without huge deficits while private health insurance companies are making such profits! I can well imagine a day (am I being alarmist?) when powerful coalitions of giant corporations may take control. What will we do then? The moderator ______________________________________________________________________________ Visit the TECHNET21 Website at http://www.technet21.org You will find instructions to subscribe, a direct access to archives, links to reference documents and other features. ______________________________________________________________________________ To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message to : mailto:[email protected] Leave the subject area BLANK In the message body, write unsubscribe TECHNET21E ______________________________________________________________________________ The World Health Organization and UNICEF support TechNet21. The TechNet21 e-Forum is a communication/information tool for generation of ideas on how to improve immunization services. It is moderated by Claude Letarte and is hosted in cooperation with the Centre de coopération internationale en santé et développement, Québec, Canada (http://www.ccisd.org) ______________________________________________________________________________
There are no replies made for this post yet.