Monday, 08 May 2006
  0 Replies
  1.4K Visits
POST 00922E : COMMUNITY HEALTH PLANNING Follow-up on Posts 00888E, 00893E, 00907E and 00916E 8 May 2006 __________________________________ Anthony Seddoh (mailto:[email protected]), from WHO/AFRO replies to Koku Awoonor, from Ghana, (Post 00916E) with some further technical questions on methodology, and comments. Again this contribution is cross-posted from The Connexion network. (mailto:[email protected]). __________________________________ Let me thank Dr. Awoonor for his attempt to clarify issues. It is quite enlightening. I however, still have reservations about the methodological rigour and the conclusions drawn. The first is that when joint probabilities are done, there should be consistency in both the denominator and the numerator and that the chances of an incident occurring must have a fair probability. So the time lapse between one incidence of BCG and that of another vaccination must have a fair probability. This does not seem to be the case. Secondly, the modelling of a probable T should share a similar incidence when it is extrapolated. At best, we may accept that the evidence presented is anecdotal in this case rather than evidence based. Two questions that I raised in my earlier submission have not been quite clarified. One is the attempt to make the word CHPS qualify as a certain distinguishable phenomenon outside existing systems and for which one can make outcome attributes as exclusive to it. A CHPS zone from Dr. Awoonor's main paper is a population based definition. How does the study control for the probability that the knowledge achieved by a person is significantly derived from a CHO source? Secondly, could Dr. Awoonor share his opinion of ACSD to compare the effectiveness of "CHPS" with for example "ACSD" so we can assess the alternatives to derive best practice? Just a point of information. Only 3 CHPS compounds constructed in Ghana has a district assembly input. All the rest including most of those in Nkwanta are donor financed. This has become a sore point in a recent review of the health sector held between 7th - 13 th March this year in Accra. The biggest sponsor to date has remained the World Bank and the USAID. The Community Health Officer training programme and the curricula has also been queried because it holds no effective carrier progression window for the graduant. These are the sustainability issues that are still hanging. Anthony ++++++++++++++++++++++++++ MESSAGE 00350F : PLANIFICATION DE SANTÉ COMMUNAUTAIRE Suite aux messages 00317F, 00322F, 00336F et 00345F 8 mai 2006 _________________________________________________________________ Anthony Seddoh (mailto:[email protected]) de l’OMS/AFRO, répond à Koku Awoonor, du Ghana (Message 00345F) avec quelques questions supplémentaires sur la méthodologie, et des commentaires. A nouveau, cette contribution est reprise du réseau The Connexion (mailto:[email protected]). __________________________________________________________________ Permettez moi de remercier le Dr. Awoonor pour avoir tenté de clarifier les problèmes. C’est très édifiant. Cependant j’ai toujours des réserves sur la rigueur méthodologique et les conclusions tirées. La première est que lorsqu’on fait des probabilités conjointes, il doit y avoir cohérence du dénominateur et du numérateur, et la probabilité qu’un incident se produise doit être raisonnable. Ainsi le temps écoulé entre un BCG et une autre vaccination doit être d’une probabilité raisonnable. Mais ça ne semble pas être le cas. Deuxièmement, la modélisation d’un T probable devrait partager une incidence similaire quand on l’extrapole. Dans le meilleur des cas, nous pourrions accepter que, dans ce cas-ci, la preuve présentée soit plutôt anecdotique que basée sur l’évidence. Dans mon intervention précédente, j’avais soulevé deux questions qui n’ont pas été clarifiées. La première est la tentative de vouloir dire, par CHPS, un certain phénomène distinct, en dehors des systèmes existants et lui attribuer de manière exclusives les résultats. De l’article du Dr. Awoonor, une zone CHPS est une définition basée sur la population. Comment l’étude contrôle-t-elle la probabilité que la connaissance acquise par une personne soit lui vienne en grande partie d’un agent de santé communautaire ? Deuxièmement, le Dr. Awoonor pourrait-il partager son opinion de l’ACSD, pour comparer l’efficacité du "CHPS" avec par exemple, l"ACSD"? Nous pourrions alors évaluer les alternatives pour en tirer la meilleure pratique? Tout juste un point d’information. Seulement 3 complexes de CHPS construits au Ghana ont bénéficié de la contribution d’une assemblée de district. Tout le reste, y compris la plupart de ceux de Nkwanta, a été financé par les donateurs. Cela est ressorti comme un point faible, dans une revue récente du secteur de la santé, entre les 7 et 13 mars cette année à Accra. Les plus grands donateurs jusqu'à présent demeurent la Banque mondiale et l’USAID. Le programme de formation des agents de santé communautaire et le curriculum ont été mis en question, parce qu’ils ne contiennent pas d’ouverture efficace de progression de carrière pour les sortants. Ce sont là des problèmes de viabilité qui n’ont pas encore été résolus Anthony +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Hello! Rudi and Solo, How are you? I have been thinking about the survey and here are the results of this. Some elements are to be considered. One is the very low participation in the last one. This partly explains that a survey has not been done for over two years, now. One other reason is that after the Antalya meeting, I wished to include questions about the report. And as you know, it took extremely long to finalize it. Low participation in the last survey may have been due to a number of reasons. Comments of the analyst were : "This may indicate that some members are loosing interest in Technet21. It is also possible that the new survey format used on the new website may have affected participation and response rates." I don’t think that members were loosing interest but there may have been an element of survey fatigue. The questionnaire was rather long, in my opinion. It was also later sent through postings, so the issue of using the site, which was actually very simple, didn’t play on the long run. It is hard to know the proportion of membership renewed every year. I doubt that it exceeds 10% per year. If survey fatigue played a major role, it should no more be the case, I believe. So, my suggestions are: To keep it rather short. After a couple of questions as in previous ones about the respondent, I would divide it in three parts: the forum, the site and the meeting’s report. I would ask no more than four questions in each section. In the past, questions were designed by Secretariat. Quite understandable as it is Secretariat that wishes even more to know members’ opinions. Actually, the first one I was involved with, it was the case totally. But for the second one, I also made some suggestions and we reached an agreement. For the timing, I would suggest we launch it 4 months prior to the meeting. The last point is the analysis. Previously, Secretariat had contracted an independant analyst to do so. I think it is a good idea. So how do you wish to proceed, draw the questions yourself, or we all propose some and we select? I’ll wait to hear from you before going further. Thanks and regards, Claude ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Bonjour! Dr. Maïga, Merci beaucoup de votre message, et de l’information qui vous fait mieux connaître. Mais vous ne me dites pas de quel pays vous êtes, je ne peux que présumer, probablement du Mali. Ou est-ce que je me trompe? Bref, le site Technet n’a aucunement besoin d’un mot de passe pour y accéder. Je ne comprends pas qu’on vous en demande un. Peut-être y a-t-il confusion avec un autre site? Voici l’adresse, en cliquant dessus, vous devriez normalement y être dirigé directement : http://www.technet21.org Technet, soutenu par l’OMS et l’UNICEF, est un portail d’accès des plus importants à toute l’information concernant la vaccination. Votre intérêt est donc justifié. Tenez-moi donc au courant si vous avez quelqu’autre problème. J’espère que cette fois, vous aurez pu consulter le site à loisir. Sincèrement, Claude Letarte, md modérateur [email protected] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Bonjour! Sanzan, Comment vas-tu? Ici, ça va. Je suis maintenant au Brésil. J’ai fait bon voyage, mais je constate que je suis saturé, et j’en ai marre. Je n’ai plutôt envie que de rentrer. Mais ce serait compliqué. Pour certaines raisons, de le faire maintenant. Je vais donc attendre à la date prévue. Ce n’est plus très long, et ce n’est quand même pas l’enfer ici. Voici une autre contribution, à nouveau d’Anthony. En passant, je n’ai aucune idée de ce qu’est le cMYP. Comme tu as accès facile à AFRO, tu pourrais leur demander, et l’écrire au long. Merci. J’ai parlé à Rudi Eggers, qui remplace Michel Zaffran, et ils veulent publier leur réponse à Femi, dans le même message. J’espère l’avoir très bientôt. Mais ça a traîné trop longtemps déjà. Je te l’enverrai aussitôt, mais il est possible que je la traduise en vitesse , tu n’auras qu’à faire comme d’habitude. Je te tiens informé. A bientôt, Claude ------------------------------ Dear Claude PIS has always been one of the more useful documents produced by WHO, but much of it is now 6 years out of date. I realise that there are some update sheets on the WHO website but most of the information is now very out of date. Unless the new PQS is in place soon there will be nothing up to date that purchasers can use to help them make procurement decisions. The cMYP process could really use the cost data from an updated PIS or PQS. Much effort and resources have been expended on PQS over the past 2 years or so. We had a comprehensive presentation at the Antalya meeting of Technet. What has happened since then? The end user community needs to see the results. Industry, too, has participated in the PQS process. They need evidence that their effort has been worthwhile otherwise WHO risks loosing credibility as a specifying agency. Thanks Anthony ______________________________________________________________________________ Visit the TECHNET21 Website at http://www.technet21.org You will find instructions to subscribe, a direct access to archives, links to reference documents and other features. ______________________________________________________________________________ To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message to : mailto:[email protected] Leave the subject area BLANK In the message body, write unsubscribe TECHNET21E ______________________________________________________________________________ The World Health Organization and UNICEF support TechNet21. The TechNet21 e-Forum is a communication/information tool for generation of ideas on how to improve immunization services. It is moderated by Claude Letarte and is hosted in cooperation with the Centre de coopération internationale en santé et développement, Québec, Canada (http://www.ccisd.org) ______________________________________________________________________________
There are no replies made for this post yet.