Tuesday, 11 July 2006
  0 Replies
  2.2K Visits
POST 00952E : TECHNICAL ISSUES ON POLIO IN NEPAL Follow-up on Posts 00942E and 00947E 11 July 2006 _________________________________________________________________ Anthony Battersby (mailto:[email protected]) from the United Kingdom raises some technical issues following Dr. Suvedi's contribution and Rudolf Tangermann's response. I may have misinterpreted Dr. Suvedi's message but I thought he was asking for strategic advice. I must admit at being a little puzzled myself. Nepal lost its polio-free status, indeed wild polioviruses are likely circulating in parts of the country, and I don't see any suggestion as to what to do. Or is it that nothing can be done, and let's wait and see what happens next? The moderator _____________________________________ Claude, If the coverage in Nepal has been as high as stated then the child should have been exposed to attenuated polio virus and thus acquired immunity. If coverage has not been as high as stated then he probably would have contracted polio much earlier in life. Experience from the recent outbreak in Namibia suggests that it is possible to become immune to polio virus(local) whilst remaining susceptible to an imported polio virus. I imagine that every adult in Namibia has been exposed to polio virus at some time. If asymptomatic carriers are travelling around Nepal, what are the strategies for making sure that imported polio virus is not circulating silently? If, as Rudi says, the older population in Nepal has acquired its immunity naturally, why did this child also not acquire immunity in a similar way? Thanks Anthony ______________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________________ Visit the TECHNET21 Website at http://www.technet21.org You will find instructions to subscribe, a direct access to archives, links to reference documents and other features. ______________________________________________________________________________ To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message to : mailto:[email protected] Leave the subject area BLANK In the message body, write unsubscribe TECHNET21E ______________________________________________________________________________ The World Health Organization and UNICEF support TechNet21. The TechNet21 e-Forum is a communication/information tool for generation of ideas on how to improve immunization services. It is moderated by Claude Letarte and is hosted in cooperation with the Centre de coopération internationale en santé et développement, Québec, Canada (http://www.ccisd.org) ______________________________________________________________________________
There are no replies made for this post yet.