Sunday, 08 October 2006
  0 Replies
  2.2K Visits
POST 00986E : QUALITY VS IMMUNIZATION COVERAGE Follow-up on Posts 00972E and 00976E 8 October 2006 ___________________________________________ This posting contains three contributions, but two from Giridhar Babu (mailto:[email protected]) who initiated this discussion. Though the first is from Adelaïde Shearley (mailto:[email protected]) from WHO/Nigeria. ___________________________________________ Dear All, Thank you very much for sharing this very important subject of quality services vs improved utilisation of existing services,therefore, increasing coverage. I have worked in Zimbabwe, Namibia and Nigeria(presently Nigeria), and what has been observed is that, indeed improvements in both technology and/or quality do have influence on 'demand generation' for immunisation. The following are examples, not country specific: 1, In countries where I have worked, where HIV/AIDS is a big problem, the use of AD syringes and other disposables, contributed to the increased uptake of routine immunisation 2, The use of combined new vaccines, minimising the number of injections to children 3,Health Facilities where there are adequately trained health workers are more utilised 4, Private health facilities tend to be better equipped, furnished and with better sanitary facilities, most mothers have opted to utilise them instead of the public health facilities. 5, Health workers in most Church related institutions are perceived to have better IPC with clients, therefore increased demand in those institutions 6, Use of acceptable vaccinators, e.g. females in some Moslem communities 7, Monitoring AEFI and dealing with the media 8, Of course, the use of VVMs and MDVP have minimised vaccine discard rates, therefore minimising vaccine stock outs resulting in decrease in missed opportunities There are a number of quality issues that have been cited as responsible for our low immunisation coverage in our countries, that have remained a great challenge. However, improving safe injection practices have restored public confidence, thus increasing demand. Hope I have contributed some useful points, this subject is close to my heart. Cheers Adelaide Eleanor Shearley (MPH) WHO Technical Officer, Routine Immunisation & New Vaccines, Nigeria Country Office -------------------------------------- Dear Mr. Mike Favin & all, Thanks for great responses posted to this topic. However, in countries like India, there is a greater proportion of population who are relatively unaware of the benefits of immunization and related health services. Hence it would definitely amount to generate the demand by educating, making them aware and enable them to bring them within the ambit of health services. With regards, Giridhar ---------------------------------- Dear All Thanks very much for the responses. I am back with some more comments. It might still be apt to use the term "Demand generation" in reference to Immunization services. I am not using it in literal meaning but of course, the functional meaning would remain the same. This is because most of the under served population in some parts of India are not aware of benefits of immunization and so do not turn up at site. The innovative methods of immunization along with strong awareness campaigns would generate the demand and these people would turn up at the immunization sessions. Northern Karnataka, some parts of Bihar and UP in India are classical examples to watch for the phenomenon of " lack of demand for immunization being a major reason for unsatisfactory coverage". With the vigour and extra zeal added under RCH-II under NRHM in India, the people in these parts are becoming increasingly aware of the immunization programmes and so this positive reinforcement is in turn is important in sustenance of regular conduct of sessions. Finally, I feel that Operational research on the QEC model might be more fruitful taking cognizance of the prevalent trends of Immunization programme in India. With regards, Giridhar ______________________________________________________________________________ All members of the TechNet21 e-Forum are invited to send comments on any posting or to use the forum to raise a new discussion or request technical information in relation to immunization services. The comments made in this forum are the sole responsibility of the writers and do not in any way mean that they are endorsed by any of the organizations and agencies to which the authors may belong. ______________________________________________________________________________ Visit the TECHNET21 Website at http://www.technet21.org You will find instructions to subscribe, a direct access to archives, links to reference documents and other features. ______________________________________________________________________________ To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message to : mailto:[email protected] Leave the subject area BLANK In the message body, write unsubscribe TECHNET21E ______________________________________________________________________________ The World Health Organization and UNICEF support TechNet21. The TechNet21 e-Forum is a communication/information tool for generation of ideas on how to improve immunization services. It is moderated by Claude Letarte and is hosted in cooperation with the Centre de coopération internationale en santé et développement, Québec, Canada (http://www.ccisd.org) ______________________________________________________________________________
There are no replies made for this post yet.