Sunday, 22 October 2006
  0 Replies
  4.6K Visits
POST 00998E : VVM USE AND FREEZE INDICATORS Follow-up on Posts 00960E, 00962E, 00964E, 00970E, 00973E, 00975E, 00978E and 00989E 22 October 2006 ___________________________________________ This posting contains four contributions : 1. from Ranjit Dhiman (mailto:[email protected]) from India 2. and 3. both from Margot Terrell-Jenkins (mailto:[email protected]) from Australia. In her first message she responds to Abdoulaye Djigo, and in the second she shares thoughts, research results and new technologies in view of the upcoming discussion on PQS at the TechNet meeting. 4. Finally, Abdoulaye Djigo (mailto:[email protected]) reacts to Margot's message. I hesitated to post Margot's second message as it might be considered as advertisement. However its interest is obvious. I still wonder if such technological innovation is applicable in most of the world's poorer countries. Your opinions? ___________________________________________ Dear Technet Moderator I was putting thoughts on using freeze tags in the cold chain and I believe that the correct method would be to use the freeze tag from primary store of country, one tag with every packed box which travels along with box down to periphery level. Central store should then record (or provide and record) the unique ID of each freeze tag on the vaccine register along with batch number etc. Same is then repeated at intermediate levels. Once PHC consumes the entire packed box, they return the tag back to primary store. Primary store then confirms in records and reuse the tag for different lot. In case, at any level, freeze tag indicates freezing, the whole lot (packed box) should be sent back to primary store along with "X" marked tag as proof of freezing and then primary store decides whether to do potency test on vaccine or discard it. Lot then at the same time taken off inventory and we will have correct picture of damages to vaccine due to freezing. And of course, by putting this system in place, we ensure that damaged vaccine is not administered, provided freeze tag indications are correct. I am not sure if this was the original idea of introducing freeze tags, but I feel that it is possible to implement the idea with little rigid norms in place! Thanks & regards Ranjit Dhiman Cold chain consultant ------------------------------------------- Hello, I am forwarding a response to the contribution from Abdoulaye Oumar DJIGO. My understanding is that he asked whether manufacturers could develop a feature that controls the fridge to prevent freezing. Following years of research and development, we have developed an intelligent monitoring and control system that detects abnormal events and takes over temperature management of the fridge to prevent freezing of vaccines. It does not interfere with normal fridge functioning and does not turn the fridge off, but rather the system “learns and remembersâ€
There are no replies made for this post yet.