Thursday, 22 May 2008
  0 Replies
  2.6K Visits
POST 01269E: ENERGY POLICY INCORPORATING HEALTH SECTOR NEEDS FOLLOW-UP ON POST: 01265E 22 MAY 2008 ******************************************* Dear Rowan, I cannot quote any clear-cut examples of energy policy specific to the health sector, but I can give reference to several indirect examples that contribute. We (IT Power India) did a feasibility study in Mozambique (somewhere in 2004-05) where we identified energy needs and technology solutions in rural health, education and water sectors. This led to a project identification, which was eventually funded by IDA/WB and provided hardware solutions in the three sectors. Govt. energy policy clearly adopted and accepted this approach. IT Power India did a cold chain rehabilitation programme in Nepal (2002-03). We visited, surveyed and repaired defective cold chain equipment at approximately 700 PHCs and Regional/District facilities. The survey included an analysis of the energy supply and demand situation at each location. This data enabled an assessment of the number of PHCs non- electrified, partially electrified and those with adequate power. This provided the basis for energy policy in the health sector in Nepal. The subsequent EC-funded RE project included this component initially. Civil unrest in Nepal has severely hampered progress however. IT Power India has also conducted rehabilitation programmes and rapid assessments in a number of states in India also. Each assessment we conduct collects data on energy supply/demand. The RCHII programme in India also includes a strategy component for environmental considerations and energy supply. This was drafted with inputs from ITPI. The State of Maharashtra has just issued an invitation for tender for the supply of solar hybrid refrigerators. The intention is to provide hybrid power (grid/solar) to locations equipped with an ILR and DF where power supply is less than the WHO-recommended minimum levels. I may be able to dig up other examples, should this be useful. Best regards Terry Hart ([[email protected]][email protected][/email]) ----------- Dear all, I am interested to know if there are such examples of energy and health sector integrated strategy and actions available. Thanks a lot Surenchimeg ([[email protected]][email protected][/email]) UNICEF Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
There are no replies made for this post yet.