Tuesday, 21 August 2007
  0 Replies
  3.5K Visits
TECHNET21 E-FORUM Technical network for strengthening immunization services Contributions to: [email=%3Ca%20href=][log in to unmask][/email]">[log in to unmask] or use your reply button! __________________________________________________________ POST 01145E : VACCINE PREVENTABLE MORTALITY Follow-up on Post 01136E 21 August 2007 _____________________________________ Please note that an error occurred in Archives and only the three images were stored, and not the body of posting 01136E. This posting contains three contributions. The first is from [email=%3Ca%20href=][log in to unmask][/email]">Marylin Waters, from Merck who draws our attention to a point in the GAVI graph. Then [email=%3Ca%20href=][log in to unmask][/email]">Naresh Goel, from India makes comments. Maybe someone can provide what he is looking for. Finally, [email=%3Ca%20href=][log in to unmask][/email]">Robert Steinglass from IMMUNIZATIONbasics responds to Marylin and the many other comments he received. _______________________________________________ Hello, The color coding on the chart indicates Measles Vaccine as a "near term vaccine" rather than an existing vaccine. This is an error and very misleading. The measles vaccine was licensed in the US in 1963 and has been widely used throughout the world for decades. Measles eradication is one of the top goals of WHO/GAVI and many other NGOs. Additionally, there is a vaccine for Pneumoccocus and for Rotavirus. Work is underway with Merck and WHO to make Rotavirus vaccine available worldwide. Is there some way for these critical errors to be corrected? Many thanks, Marilyn Waters Worldwide Regulatory Coordination (Vaccines) -------------------------- Dear Robert This is wonderful analysis. Thanks for sharing this. For India I have been looking for an analysis of infants and under five in respect of mortality and morbidity due to VPDs. It will be kind of you if you can make/find something similar and forward it to me. regards Dr Naresh Goel Asstt Commissioner(UIP), India ---------------------------- In response to several e-mails sent to TECHNET, as well as several sent separately to me, I would like to provide some additional information on my earlier posting on Vaccine Preventable Mortality, as well as provide some attachments that should be helpful in TECHNET readers' further advocacy. First, please find the two-page source document from the GAVI Alliance called "Immunisation" which included the pie graph showing that 25% of all under-five mortality is vaccine-preventable. The data were currrent as of August 2006, as indicated at the bottom of the document. Readers should note that measles was incorrectly labeled as "near term" on the original slide from GAVI/UNICEF. Therefore, I have taken the liberty to revise the slide, this time showing measles to be "existing" (and also corrected the misspelling in the original pdf file of pneumococcal). Second, some eagle-eyed readers correctly spotted that both rotavirus and pneumococcal vaccines have been in use in some countries for several years, and therefore questioned their designation as "near-term" vaccines. [These vaccines have been approved by the GAVI Board in November 2006 for introduction starting in 2008 (rota in European and American regions, and pneumo globally) with global expansion expected in 2010. Additional advocacy, and careful technical and financial planning, will be required in some countries regarding the introduction of these two vaccines.] One can certainly argue that these two vaccines are now "existing" and no longer "near term," although they have not yet been widely introduced. Hopefully, the GAVI Alliance or UNICEF (or WHO?) would agree to re-issue a corrected slide showing measles, rota and pneumo vaccines to be "existing". Third, I had explicitly described as "dated" the slide showing "Potential of Immunization to Prevent Death." It originally appeared in the newsletter "Child Survival BASICS" in the autumn of 1996. In the TECHNET posting, the slide's footnote clearly explained that the polio data included both deaths and cases of lifetime disability prevented. The slide was based on one used widely at that time (1996) by WHO in Geneva that you can view in this powerpoint slide. I hope that these clarifications will be helpful and that readers will be able to use them to advocate for increased attention to the need for strong routine immunization systems to meet MDG goals. Robert Robert Steinglass Technical Director JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. IMMUNIZATIONbasics Arlington, VA 22209, USA ______________________________________________________________________________ All members of the TechNet21 e-Forum are invited to send comments on any posting or to use the forum to raise a new discussion or request technical information in relation to immunization services. The comments made in this forum are the sole responsibility of the writers and do not in any way mean that they are endorsed by any of the organizations and agencies to which the authors may belong. ______________________________________________________________________________ Visit the TECHNET21 Website at http://www.technet21.org You will find instructions to subscribe, a direct access to archives, links to reference documents and other features. ______________________________________________________________________________ To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message to : [email=%3Ca%20href=][log in to unmask][/email]">[log in to unmask] Leave the subject area BLANK In the message body, write unsubscribe TECHNET21E ______________________________________________________________________________ The World Health Organization and UNICEF support TechNet21. The TechNet21 e-Forum is a communication/information tool for generation of ideas on how to improve immunization services. It is moderated by Claude Letarte and is hosted in cooperation with the Centre de coopération internationale en santé et développement, Québec, Canada (www.ccisd.org ______________________________________________________________________________
There are no replies made for this post yet.