Monday, 29 October 2007
  0 Replies
  3K Visits
POST 01178E : VACCINE STOCK MANAGEMENT Follow-up on Posts 01138E and 01164E 29 October 2007 ________________________________ This posting has been delayed for some technical questions. It contains three contributions. The first is from Henrique Menezes d’Alva from WHO/Mozambique. The second is from Terkula ben Alagh from Nigeria to whom Diana Chang Blanc from WHO Headquarters responds. The WHO document where the definitions originate did provide a definition of maximum stock. As for definitions of various concepts related to stocks, it will be impossible to have everybody to agree, as Diana points out. ________________________________ Dear Colleagues, Many thanks for the definitions. However in order to safeguard completely the quality of vaccine conservation, we need to take into account the other extreme in the management of these same vaccines, i.e. the maximum level for which we suggest the following definition: … quantity and/or volume of vaccines that the stock level should never exceed for a given period of time (established in advance), keeping in line with the cold chain capacity, as welle as the anticipated immunisation coverage, thus assuring the quality of vaccines and management. Warm greetings Henrique D’Alva Eng. Henrique MENEZES D’ALVA EPI Logistician / Vaccine Manager WHO-Angola Luanda-Angola -------------------- Colleagues The definitions that Dr Odegbami refers to directly contradict what we have been teaching in Nigeria in the vaccine management series since April 2006. The minimum stock refered to is what we have taught as re-order level and the safety stock, the minimum stock. If the change simplifies the process for the staff in the field, I have no complaints. But I suspect that there is really no consensus on these definitions. I read the new document and took the issue up with a senior WHO colleague. The impression I got was that this document was released against his advice. My concern is that we need to agree such things in house before they go out. I don't know that redefining terms was such an emergency that could not await widespread consultation for achieve consensus. regards Dr Ben Alagh --------------------------- The published WHO document Vaccine stock management: Guidelines on stock records for immunization programme and vaccine store managers (WHO/IVB/06.12) simply encourages national programmes, where possible, to align their definitions to the terms used in the manual. As pointed out by Dr Alagh, it is understood that national programmes may apply different language or terminology for the concepts of safety stock, minimum stock, maximum stock and reorder level. Regarding Dr Alagh's second comment, WHO applies a lengthy and rigorus review process prior to any official publication of guidelines or policy statements. This document, as well as others, cannot be authorised for publication prior to completing this widespread external and internal clearance process ; whilst this may not attain unanimity, it does achieve agreement among the majority of stakeholders. Diana Chang Blanc Technical Officer FCH/IVB/EPI ______________________________________________________________________________ All members of the TechNet21 e-Forum are invited to send comments on any posting or to use the forum to raise a new discussion or request technical information in relation to immunization services. The comments made in this forum are the sole responsibility of the writers and do not in any way mean that they are endorsed by any of the organizations and agencies to which the authors may belong. ______________________________________________________________________________ Visit the TECHNET21 Website at http://www.technet21.org You will find instructions to subscribe, a direct access to archives, links to reference documents and other features. ______________________________________________________________________________ To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message to : [[email protected]][email protected][/email] Leave the subject area BLANK In the message body, write unsubscribe TECHNET21E ______________________________________________________________________________ The World Health Organization and UNICEF support TechNet21. The TechNet21 e-Forum is a communication/information tool for generation of ideas on how to improve immunization services. It is moderated by Claude Letarte and is hosted in cooperation with the Centre de coopération internationale en santé et développement, Québec, Canada (www.ccisd.org ______________________________________________________________________________
There are no replies made for this post yet.